As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
If your furnace room is noisy, the entire house will be affected. Sometimes the furnace noises will be heard even from farthest areas in your home.
However, you don’t need to live with this noise. Thanks to soundproofing.
You can use different techniques to block the noise from the furnace even before it causes any disturbance to your house.
In this article, we will discuss different ways to soundproof and reduce noises from the furnace.
Let’s Dive Deeper and Learn.
Effective Ways to Reduce Furnace Noise in the Room
Step 1: Start by Working on the Noisy Furnace
It won’t make any sense to try any soundproofing technique before dealing with the source of the noise. You need first to fix the furnace and deal with the noise.
Furnaces make different noises, depending on various factors. Some sounds could be as a result of some fault on the furnace. Other noises would be normal furnace noises that require soundproofing.
Therefore, first, start by understanding the nature of noises coming from your furnace. If your furnace is making abnormal sounds, find out the problem and fix them. If you are not a furnace expert, consult with a qualified technician.
Once you deal with the noises from your furnace, then you will be free to soundproof the room. The following are noises that need attention from a specialist. These noises signify a problem on your furnace. So, once you hear any of them, fix them immediately.
- A bang Noise
- Furnace Whistling Sound
- Furnace Rattling
- Duct Squeak or Bang Noise
- Whooshing Noise
- Motor Noise
Step 2: Soundproof the Furnace
Use magic eraser sponges to soundproof your furnace. Magic eraser sponges are heat resistant. They do not burn. Also, the foam does not allow sound to pass through it. The sponge also offers a cleaning effect to your furnace.
For effectiveness, use the foam next to the blower intake. Follow the following procedure when building sound insulation for the furnace.
- Sandwich the magic eraser sponge with a galvanized steel sheet. Use a wire mesh to make the sheet.
- Connect the wire mesh with the steel sheet. Secure it tightly with the foam. Ensure the foam holds firmly to prevent it from being sucked by the blower.
- Fix the insulation on the walls of the furnace.
The sound insulation should be able to absorb all rattling and vibrations. It will also block any noise trying to escape through it.
(20 Pack) Extra Large Magic Cleaning Eraser Sponge
- 2X Thick,
- 2X Longer Lasting Melamine Sponges in Bulk
- Multi-Surface Power Scrubber Foam Pads
STK 20 Pack Extra Thick Magic Cleaning Pads
- Eraser Sponge for All Surfaces
Step 3: Soundproof the Furnace Room Walls
After you are done with the furnace itself, the next step would be to soundproof the furnace room. This stage aims to block noises that couldn’t be eliminated by repairing or soundproofing the furnace itself.
So, work on the walls of the furnace room.
Furnaces produce structural noises that can penetrate through the wall. To soundproof your furnace room wall, apply the following techniques.
For more insights about soundproofing wall cheaply you can read this post.
Thicken the Wall
Inspect your wall and see its thickness. If the wall is thin, thicken it. Add a layer of drywall on it. This will dampen all vibrations passing through the wall.
The thicker the wall, the more difficult it will be for noises to pass through it.
Alternatively, install a layer of drywall using Green Glue. The glue is made specifically for soundproofing projects. Get the paste and apply it on a flat surface. Fix the surface on the wall. You can screw it or pin it with nails.
The Green glue will absorb all furnace noises passing through it and transform it to heat energy. It is also fireproof. So won’t be worried about fires in the furnace room.
Check the following Green Glues on Amazon and start soundproofing.
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound – 5 Gallon Bucket
- 5 Gallon bucket covering approximately 385 square feet
- Each box comes with installation instructions (in English and Spanish) and datasheets.
- Green Glue is the simplest, most effective, and affordable soundproofing product currently on the market.
- Green Glue is also one of the few products that greatly reduces both impact and airborne noise.
Case of Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound – 12 Tubes
- Sold in cases of 12 (29oz.) tubes per case.
- Each case comes with installation instructions (in English and Spanish) and datasheets.
- Better results for low frequencies
St. Gobain GGTAPE-1-7|16X100 Green Glue Noiseproofing Joist Tape
- Take no time at all to install and can be easily incorporated into flooring jobs
- Eliminates Squeaking
- Acts as a form of insulation to improve energy efficiency
For more details on how to use Green Glue to soundproof check this article Green Glue vs QuietRock: Pick The Best One to Reduce Noise
Seal Wall Cracks
Inspect your walls and check any cracks. Cracks no matter how small they are, they will allow noises to pass through them.
Therefore, as you thicken your wall, remember to seal all cracks over it.
Use Soundproofing Mats
In this case, choose the mats specifically used to soundproof cars. They are durable, effective, and non-flammable. Most of the car deadening mats are also self-adhesive. So, it will be easy to install them over your building.
Choose either of the following mats on Amazon and install them over your furnace room walls.
- 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat,
- Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener,
- Audio Noise Insulation and dampening
- 80 mil 36 sqft
- car Sound deadening mat,
- Audio Noise Insulation and dampening
- Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener.
Step 4: Soundproof Furnace Doors and Windows
If your furnace room has doors and windows soundproof them. Seal any air gap over them that would allow any noise to come out of the furnace room.
Use Soundproofing Curtains and Blankets
Buy soundproofing curtains or blankets on Amazon and hang them over the doors and windows. Ensure you get quality materials and hang them as you hang ordinary curtains.
Choose either of the following soundproofing curtains or blankets from Amazon and use them over your doors and windows.
- Effective sound absorption.
- Measures 95″ x 54.
- Great for recording studios, drum rooms, rehearsal spaces, vocal booths, and more
- Installation hardware included
Deluxe Moving Blankets by Chean Cheap Moving Boxes
- Size: 72″ X 80″
- Double lock stitching and thick 1/4-inch material
- Ideal for preventing scratches and nicks to furniture
- Double lock stitching with four square finished corners
For more insights about using soundproofing blankets, read this article How to Soundproof a Room with Blankets: 9 Best Ways!
- Noise Reducing Thermal Insulated Solid Ring
- Top Blackout Window Curtains/Drapes
- Two Panels,42 x 84 Inch.
- Thermal Insulated
- Noise Reducing
- Size: 52W x 54L Inch
Use Soundproofing Mats Over Your Door
Get the same soundproofing mats like the ones you used over the walls. Cut them according to size of your door and install them.
Soundproofing mats will absorb and deaden all furnace noises passing through the doors.
Furnaces are necessary for our homes. We need them more especially during winter seasons. Therefore, there is no need of doing away with them because of their irritating noise.
All we need to do is first fix and soundproof them. Then after that is done, we can soundproof their rooms following the steps discussed in this article.