As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Without Any Extra Cost to You!
When soundproofing a dorm, you need to identify where the source of the noise and where it’s passing through. After identifying areas that the noise is passing through, you can, therefore, apply different techniques to soundproof.
The following are the best techniques to soundproof a dorm. Apply each method depending on the nature of the noise you are experiencing in the dorm.
4 Easy Steps to Soundproof a Dorm Room
1. Soundproof the Door
Doors are among the first areas that would allow noises insides your dorm. Therefore, use the following techniques to soundproof your doors.
Seal all cracks and Air Gaps on the Door
Inspect your door. Check if there are air cracks over it. Seal all air cracks that you can see. Any air gap on the door will allow noises to pass through them.
Once you have identified the cracks, use weatherstrips to seal it.
Cut seals that can fit over the air gap of your door and install them. Install them from the inside part of the door.
Buy either of the following soundproofing seal tapes from Amazon. Any of the following seals will be effective.
- Foam Adhesive Strips
- 2-Inch-Wide X 1/4 Inch Thick
- Total 13 Feet Long
- Seal, Doors,
- Sound Dampening
- Craft Tape (33 Ft- 1/8″ x 2″)
Closes the Gap Between the Floor and Door
The door leaves a space between the floor. It’s purposely for allowing the door to open and close smoothly.
However, the same space allows noises to pass through it. Therefore, if you want to soundproof your dorm, you will need to close this gap.
To close the gap, you can install door sweeps or draft stoppers. They will block the air gap and prevent any noise passing through it.
- Under Door Seal for Exterior/Interior Doors
- Soundproof Door Bottom
- Weather Stripping
- No cold
- 36 Inch Foam
Hang Soundproofing Curtains or blankets Over the Door
Soundproofing curtains and blankets are dense. They block any noise passing through the door. The density of the curtains traps air and sound passing through them.
You only need to hang the blankets or curtains just like you hang ordinary curtains. Most importantly, ensure you buy quality soundproofing curtains and blankets from Amazon.
Consider buying either of the following blankets or curtains.
- Deluxe Pro
- Double-sided construction
- 80″ x 72″ (40 lb/dz Weight)
- Professional Quilted Shipping Furniture Pads Royal Blue
- Effective sound absorption.
- Measures 95″ x 54.
- Great for recording studios, drum rooms, rehearsal spaces, vocal booths, and more
- Installation hardware included
- Noise Reducing Thermal Insulated Solid Ring
- Top Blackout Window Curtains/Drapes
- Two Panels,42 x 84 Inch.
- Thermal Insulated
- Noise Reducing
- Size: 52W x 54L Inch
Replace Hollow Doors
If your door is hollow, it will allow much of the noises to pass through it. Therefore, check if your door is solid or hollow. If it’s hollow, remove it and install a solid door. This will help in reducing most of the noises passing through your door.
2. Soundproof the Windows
Dorm windows also allow a lot of noises to pass through the door. Also, same techniques can be used to soundproof the windows.
- Seal any air gaps with weatherstripping tape.
- Hang Soundproofing Curtains or blankets Over the Door.
- Use laminated glass panes instead of the ordinary glass panes.
3. Soundproof the Walls
Walls are capable of allowing vibrations and structural noises to pass through them. Thin walls allow most of the sounds to pass through them. Depending on the nature of noises passing through the door, apply the following techniques.
You may also like: Soundproofing a Wall Cheaply: 6 Best Ways to Soundproof Your Walls
Use Green Glue to Thicken Your Walls
Green glue is specifically designed for soundproofing a solid structure. Buy it on Amazon and use it over your wall.
Apply green glue on a separate flat surface. Once you are done, screw the surface over the wall, it will absorb the noises passing through the wall and transform them to heat energy.
Check the following Green glues from Amazon and use them.
- 5 Gallon bucket covering approximately 385 square feet
- Each box comes with installation instructions (in English and Spanish) and datasheets.
- Green Glue is the simplest, most effective, and affordable soundproofing product currently on the market.
- Green Glue is also one of the few products that greatly reduces both impact and airborne noise.
- Sold in cases of 12 (29oz.) tubes per case.
- Each case comes with installation instructions (in English and Spanish) and datasheets.
- Better results for low frequencies
- Take no time at all to install and can be easily incorporated into flooring jobs
- Eliminates Squeaking
- Acts as a form of insulation to improve energy efficiency
For more details on how to use Green Glue to soundproof check this article Green Glue vs QuietRock: Pick The Best One to Reduce Noise
Install Acoustic Foams over the Walls
Acoustic foams are specifically designed to improve acoustics in the music rooms. They absorb and deaden most of the noises passing through them.
Acoustic foams are self-adhesive. You buy them on Amazon and fix them over your wall. Get the following acoustic foams on Amazon today and soundproof your walls.
- 12 Pack covers 12 square feet
- Professional acoustic control
- Great for spot treating sound on walls
- 12 pack means
- Professional acoustic control Acoustic
- Sound deadening material
Seal any Crack on the Walls
If there are cracks on your wall, they will allow noises to pass through them. Therefore, seal them. Use Green glue to add mass surface over the cracks. And as simple as that, you would have reduced most of the noises passing through the cracks.
4. Soundproof Dorm Space
Empty spaces in a house produce echoes which amplify any noise coming into your house. To deal with this, do away with all empty spaces.
Fill the empty cabinets with items. Also, rearrange furniture and any other things that are in your dorm. Focus on softening any hard surface where noises bounce off.
The effectiveness of any soundproofing techniques would be determined by the nature of the noises you are blocking. If the noise is high you need to use techniques that can block high sounds and vice versa.
But most importantly, ensure you buy quality soundproofing materials from Amazon. Choose any of the soundproofing materials recommended in this article.